Automatic NCDXF beacon monitor for Radio Amateurs,
SWL'ers and HF communication engineers
- continuously monitors 18 NCDXF beacons on five bands;
- automatically detects the presence of the beacon signals, even in QRM and noise;
- measures the signal-to-noise ratio, the QSB index, and the propagation delay of the signal;
- automatically identifies long path openings based on the signal delay;
- has a real-time display of band conditions;
- maintains a long-term history of beacon observations;
- generates signal charts at regular intervals in a form suitable for Web publishing;
- generates observation logs optimized for automatic analysis.
- Operating system: Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 7;
- CPU speed: 1 GHz or higher is recommended;
- Ports: one COM port for radio control (optional);
- Connection to the Internet: direct (no proxies), 1 MBit/s or faster is recommended.
Satellite connections cannot be used because of the propagation delay;
- Receiver: any CW or SSB receiver that covers at least one
of the beacon bands (14, 18, 21, 24, 28 MHz), preferably a model that is supported by the
- Antenna: an omni-directional antenna is recommended;
- Sound card: the on-board one is OK;
- Cables: two cables are required for
connecting the radio to the PC, a standard stereo cable for
the audio signal and a CAT cable/adapter for radio control.
Note: if the Configure button in the Settings/Radio dialog is disabled, download
the OmniRig Runtime package from the OmniRig page
and install it.
Note: if a high speed connection to the Internet is not available,
use a local GPS-controlled time server, such as
Faros, Monitor panel
Faros, Details panel
Faros, History panel
Faros, Map panel
IMPORTANT: Faros works with the audio device at a very low level in order
to perform precise timing measurements. This may or may not work with a particular
soundcard/driver combination. Be sure to fully test the program on your hardware
during the trial period before you register.
Copyright © 1998-2015 Afreet Software, Inc.
Announcements of new software
for this software